Wednesday, July 8, 2009

How About... None of Them?

Can you pick Australia's Perfect Couple?



Fuck. I have to reevaluate what I know about relationships. It turns out that to be a "perfect couple" isn't about compatibility or trust or love or any of that stuff that, you know, logic suggests. It's about how quirky in a network-friendly way you are - "we're virgins!" "we argue a bit!" "we're different heights!" - and your ability to go through idiot fucking challenges!

And, of course, a handy tolerance for Jules Lund.


Jesus.

Not that I've worked in television for that long, but there's no way anyone on this production (bar the contestants, of course) cares about what they're creating. The production offices of this little gem aren't filled with proud people, safe in the knowledge they're creating something people will love and remember. They groan at every batch of rushes that get shit into the system.

No one's demanding a constant stream of high art, Australian television, but how about something that won't give its audiences a brain embolism?

I should thank my lovely girlfriend Tina for alerting me to the existence of Australia's Perfect Couple. One thing we can agree on, as a couple? This fucking show will be worse than Hitler. I wonder if that qualifies us to be on it?

2 comments:

  1. Ha, Simon!
    I saw the ads for this last night and all I could think was "WHY!? GOD WHY!!???" That's what you get when you voluntarily watch 9. But atleast they are servicing Australian minority groups by providing entertainment for bogans.

    (It's Diana by the way)
    love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can get through an hour of Jules Lund then you're a better person than him.

    ReplyDelete